650,000 hours. That’s the average human life span and the title of a new website and newsletter launched by author, columnist, and former AARP Editor Ken Budd. Following his father’s unexpected death, Ken spent time volunteering around the world in an effort to find meaning and purpose, which led to his award-winning memoir, The Voluntourist. Ken joins Lynne on the Make Meaning podcast to discuss making the most of our time on Earth – finding meaningful work, satisfaction in life, making an impact in the world, and living every hour in a way that matters. Tune in here:
In addition to being an award-winning writer and “voluntourist,” Ken Budd has written for the New York Times, National Geographic Traveler, The Washington Post, and authors the column Everyday Heroes for The Saturday Evening Post. He has appeared on radio and TV many times, and despite his recent transition to a lower-income career, finds himself with a higher level of happiness and life satisfaction.
In this episode, Lynne and Ken discuss:
- What it means to be a “voluntourist”
- Making our 650,000 hours matter
- How the smallest gestures can have the biggest impact
- Gaining clarity from crisis
- When decreased pay brings increased happiness
- Ken’s 4 lessons learned from volunteering
Links and Resources:
- About Ken Budd
- 650,000 Hours
- The Voluntourist
- Bill Bryson – A Short History of Nearly Everything
- The Reality of Voluntourism and the Conversations We’re Not Having – Natalie Jesionka, The Muse
How have you been spending your 650,000 hours? Share your thoughts with Lynne. Drop her a line here.
Coming up November 18 on the Make Meaning Podcast – Tista Ghosh, the first female Chief Medical Officer of Colorado. Tune in as Tista talks to Lynne about her drive to make a difference through preventive health education and the creation of public policy to change social norms and protect our collective health.
Other episodes you might like:
- Episode 38 – Cities and Communities with Andrew Stein
- Episode 27 – Advancing Justice with Rev. Faith Fowler
- Episode 2 – Stories Can Change the World with Barbara Jones