How do you want to be remembered? Merle Saferstein, this week’s guest on the Make Meaning Podcast, works with people to determine their life legacies, and this is one of the questions she routinely asks. Merle has found great meaning through teaching children, working with Holocaust survivors, and most recently, fulfilling a lifelong goal of publishing her book, Room 732. Listen as Lynne talks with Merle about living and leaving a legacy, the choices we make to create lives of meaning, and the importance of knowing our lives matter.
About this week’s guest:
Merle Saferstein has enjoyed a successful career as an educator of children and adults alike. She spent 26 years helping Holocaust survivors document their stories as director of educational outreach at the Holocaust Documentation and Education Center now located in Dania Beach, Florida. Retired since 2011, she travels around the country, speaking to and educating individuals and groups about how to live and leave their legacy.
In this episode, Lynne and Merle discuss:
- Defining legacy – financial assets vs. positive impact
- How living a meaningful life creates a meaningful legacy
- Finding what speaks to your soul
- The resilience of the human spirit and what that can teach future generations
- The importance of knowing our lives matter
Links and Resources:
- When to Jump by Mike Lewis
- Anne Frank in the World: 1929-1945 Photographic Exhibition
- Holocaust Documentation and Education Center
- Holocaust Survivor Stories: Anita Karl, Judy Freeman, Lisl Bogart, Thieresenstadt
- Work with Merle to live and leave your legacy
Coming December 30 on the Make Meaning Podcast: Finding Soul Purpose with Jen Coken. Jen is a life coach of over 20 years, author, speaker and stand-up comedian. In this episode, Jen talks with Lynne about finding your “soul purpose” and the power of reflecting, meditating and visualizing in creating a successful path in life. Who do you want to be and what’s standing in your way? Tune in next week!
Other Make Meaning episodes you might enjoy:
- Episode 47 – Quieting the Mind with Linda Makowski
- Episode 41 – Making Meaning from Loss with Marianne Simon
- Episode 53 – Writing about the Good Life with Ken Budd